Hamas decided not to respond or engage with Israel’s counterproposal for a ceasefire in Gaza, an official told Reuters on Wednesday, affirming it is committed to the mediators’ plan instead.
Israel said on March 29 that it conveyed to the mediators a counterproposal in full coordination with the U.S. after Hamas agreed to a proposal it received from mediators Egypt and Qatar, which included the release of five Israeli hostages in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.
Qatar-based broadcaster Al Jazeera, which aligns with Qatari mediation efforts, reported that Hamas accused Israel of undermining a proposal it had previously accepted. According to the network, Hamas agreed to a draft plan presented on March 27 that called for the release of five Israeli soldiers, including dual U.S.-Israeli citizen Edan Alexander, within 50 days, in exchange for 250 Palestinian prisoners—150 serving life sentences and 2,000 detainees from Gaza arrested after October 7.
Continue reading this article on ynetnews.com